Welcome to my book about getting your music to people, into people, and through people.
You deserve a little preview of what’s inside, so I’m going to introduce you to all of its main ideas, right now, all at once. It’ll be a bunch of declarations in a row, like reading a table of contents, but it’ll give you an idea of what’s to come. Ready?
- Marketing is an extension of your art. Business is just as creative as music.
- Marketing means being considerate. Focus on others. See yourself from their point of view. Being weird is considerate.
- All opportunities come from people. Stay in touch with everyone. Use a database.
- People skills are counterintuitive. To be helped, be helpful. Persistence is polite.
- Be resourceful. Ask for help, but never wait for help. Call the destination and ask for directions. Get specific about what you want.
- The music industry is run by cool people like you. Don’t put them on a pedestal.
- Describe your music in a curious way, and it will travel faster and further.
- Be extreme and sharply defined. Target a niche. Proudly exclude most people.
- Money is just a neutral representation of value. Be valuable to others — not just yourself. People like to pay.
- Decide if you’re at the starting line or finish line. Nobody knows the future, so focus on what doesn’t change.
- Whatever scares you, go do it.
That’s it! That’s the whole book. These 90 tiny chapters will explain these points.
At the end of each one, I’ll give you the web address of that chapter, where you can read the interesting comments or questions people have about it.
When you’re done reading this book, please email me to let me know. Anyone who finishes this book is my kind of person, so please introduce yourself and feel free to email me any questions. All of my contact info is at sive.rs